It’s always a good time to be healthy, but even more so right now. Diet plays a big role in your health, so it’s important that you eat well and get a lot of nutrients in your food. Along with that, strive for antioxidants, which fight sickness and disease. You’ll find antioxidants concentrated in certain fruits and vegetables, especially those with bright colors. The best sources of antioxidants are berries. And what better way to consume berries than a healthy smoothie?
Here are three great smoothie recipes to help you stay well. Each of these is filled with nutrients to give your body the fuel it needs. Have fun and feel free to customize!
3 Healthy Smoothie Recipes
1. Pineapple Green Smoothie
A lot of people are unnerved by green smoothies. And understandably so! These drinks are strange looking, but they can also be very healthy. Spinach packs a lot of nutrients and its flavor hides in a healthy smoothie.
To ease you into the world of green smoothies, here’s a recipe for a pineapple, spinach, and banana smoothie. It’s sweet and features familiar flavors, perfect for getting used to a new kind of smoothie.
- 6 ounces yogurt (Greek or regular, plain or vanilla)
- 1 banana, cut into chunks (fresh or frozen)
- 10-12 pineapple chunks, frozen
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, packed
- ½ cup almond milk, apple juice, or milk/juice of choice
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flax seed
- Place ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
2. Mixed Berry Smoothie
Berries are loaded with antioxidants, powerful nutrients that fight disease and sickness. Blueberries are highest in these, but every type of berry features lots of antioxidants. By making mixed berry smoothies, you can get a powerful helping of nutrients.
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc.)
- 1 cup yogurt or 1 banana
- 1 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- (Optional) ¼ cup protein powder
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
3. Acai Smoothie Bowl
Most of us have heard of or had an acai bowl. The tropical acai berry is reputed for its high antioxidant content. That’s given it quite the health craze.
But there’s no need to drop $12 on an acai bowl at a trendy café. This type of smoothie can be replicated at home with the same (or more) nutritious benefits. Just note that acai powder might require you to buy online or at a health foods store or co-op. Try looking at Whole Foods or your favorite alternative grocer!
Recipe borrowed from Chocolate Covered Katie.
- ½ cup almond milk or milk of choice
- ½ cup canned coconut milk or milk of choice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 banana, cut in chunks and frozen
- 1 tablespoon acai powder
- (Optional) Sweetener like agave syrup or juice, to taste
- (Optional) Sliced banana, berries, granola, shredded coconut or other toppings
- Combine all ingredients except optional toppings in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into a wide bowl and top with any toppings desired.
Next time you want to boost your immune system, try one of these healthy smoothie recipes. And if you like them, pass this post along to a friend who might also enjoy. Be well and stay healthy!