Where to Fish and What You’ll Catch in Ontario
There are few places on earth with as much fresh water as Ontario. Home to an estimated 250,000 lakes and more than 100,000 kilometres of rivers, Ontario is a haven for those who love to fish. But with so many options, where should you be fishing in Ontario?
We’ve rounded up the 10 best Ontario fishing spots, and many are close to our locations at Sherkston Shores Beach Resort & Campground and Pleasant Beach Campground. Both are situated on the north shore of Lake Erie and features great fishing at the Quarry and Turtle Pond at Sherkston Shores, where you can also find fishing gear rentals!
Be sure to prepare before going out on your fishing trip. Here are some tips for your angling adventure:
- Prepare your boat with life jackets, food, water, fishing supplies, and a first aid kit.
- Bring your fishing license and know the regulations of the area where you’ll be fishing.
- Pack the right bait, which could be worms, crickets, or artificial bait depending on what you’re fishing for.
- Practice your technique to ensure that you have the basics mastered, including how to safely cast a rod and remove a hook.
- Make fishing kid-friendly by teaching children about patience and safety. Be sure to pack life jackets made specifically to fit kids, and easy-to-use hooks and bait.
Top 10 Fishing Spots in Ontario
1. Bay of Quinte – Belleville, ON
Types of fish: Walleye, Pickerel, Salmon, Pike, Perch, Trout, Bass
2. Frenchman’s Bay – Pickering, ON
Types of fish: Sunfish, Bass, Black Crappie, Carp, Perch, Brown Bullheads
3. Glen Haffy Conservation Area – Caledon, ON
Types of fish: Rainbow Trout
4. Heart Lake Conservation Area – Brampton, ON
Types of fish: Pike, Sunfish, Carp, Black Crappie
5. Lake Erie and Gravelly Bay – Port Colborne, ON
Types of fish: Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Catfish, Perch, Pike, Walleye
6. Niagara River – Fort Erie, ON
Types of fish: Trout, Walleye, Bass
7. Sherkston Shores Quarry – Sherkston, ON
Types of fish: Trout, Sunfish, Bluegill
8. Toronto Islands – Toronto, ON
Types of fish: Bass, Pike, Sunfish, Carp, Perch
9. Twelve Mile Creek – St. Catharines, ON
Types of fish: Trout, Pike, Perch, Minnows
10. Welland River – Welland, ON
Types of fish: Walleye, Bass, Pike
Fishing Competitions in Ontario
Fishing experts and enthusiasts can participate in fishing competitions throughout the summer. Just a short drive from Sherkston Shores and Pleasant Beach, the town of Port Colborne hosts exciting fishing tournaments.
On August 10 and 11, check out the Berkley B1 Bass Fishing Championships. This professional fishing competition boasts great prizes and skilled competitors. For younger fishing experts, the Port Colborne & District Conservation Club’s Kid’s Fishing Derby is set to take place on June 17 at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park.
Whether you’re new at fishing or an experienced angler, join us on the shores of Lake Erie today. Reserve your stay at Sherkston Shores or Pleasant Beach by booking online or call us at (888) 886-2477.
If you know someone who loves fishing, share this post on Facebook or Twitter to let them know about our top fishing spots in Ontario, Canada!