Where to Fish and What You’ll Catch in Ontario
There are few places on Earth with as much fresh water as Ontario. Home to an estimated 250,000 lakes and more than 100,000 kilometres of rivers, Ontario is a haven for those who love to fish. But with so many options, where should you be fishing in Ontario?
We’ve rounded up the 10 best Ontario fishing spots, and many are close to our premier location at Sherkston Shores Beach Resort & Campground. Sherkston Shores sits on the north shore of Lake Erie and features great fishing right onsite at Sherkston Quarry and Turtle Pond. This resort even offers fishing gear rentals!
Be sure to prepare before going out on your fishing trip. Here are some tips for your angling adventure:
- Prepare your boat with life jackets, food, water, fishing supplies, and a first aid kit.
- Bring your fishing license and know the regulations of the area where you’ll be fishing.
- Pack the right bait, which could be worms, crickets, or artificial bait depending on what you’re fishing for.
- Practice your technique to ensure that you have the basics mastered, including how to safely cast a rod and remove a hook.
- Make fishing kid-friendly by teaching children about patience and safety. Be sure to pack life jackets made specifically to fit kids, and easy-to-use hooks and bait.
Top 10 Fishing Spots in Ontario
1. Bay of Quinte – Belleville, ON
Types of fish: Walleye, Pickerel, Salmon, Pike, Perch, Trout, Bass
2. Frenchman’s Bay – Pickering, ON
Types of fish: Sunfish, Bass, Black Crappie, Carp, Perch, Brown Bullheads
3. Glen Haffy Conservation Area – Caledon, ON
Types of fish: Rainbow Trout
4. Heart Lake Conservation Area – Brampton, ON
Types of fish: Pike, Sunfish, Carp, Black Crappie
5. Lake Erie and Gravelly Bay – Port Colborne, ON
Types of fish: Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Catfish, Perch, Pike, Walleye
6. Niagara River – Fort Erie, ON
Types of fish: Trout, Walleye, Bass
7. Sherkston Shores Quarry – Sherkston, ON
Types of fish: Trout, Sunfish, Bluegill
8. Toronto Islands – Toronto, ON
Types of fish: Bass, Pike, Sunfish, Carp, Perch
9. Twelve Mile Creek – St. Catharines, ON
Types of fish: Trout, Pike, Perch, Minnows
10. Welland River – Welland, ON
Types of fish: Walleye, Bass, Pike
Fishing Competitions in Ontario
Fishing experts and enthusiasts can participate in fishing competitions throughout the summer. Just a short drive from Sherkston Shores, the town of Port Colborne hosts exciting fishing tournaments.
On August 10 and 11, check out the Berkley B1 Bass Fishing Championships. This professional fishing competition boasts great prizes and skilled competitors. For younger fishing experts, the Port Colborne & District Conservation Club’s Kid’s Fishing Derby is set to take place on June 17 at H.H. Knoll Lakeview Park.
Sherkston Shores Beach Resort & Campground
There’s no better place for an Ontario vacation than Sherkston Shores! Boasting 560 acres of land and two and a half miles of beachfront on Lake Erie, this is the premier destination for summer fun and fishing in Ontario.
Here are some of the great amenities you can expect:
- Water park with three slides
- Mini golf
- Aerial adventure course
- Sea Doo, Jetovator, kayaks, and more available to rent
- Tennis courts
- Fitness center
- Sherkston Supermart
- Boston Pizza
- And much more!
Whether you’re a new fisher or an experienced angler, join us on the shores of Lake Erie today.
Liked this post? Share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter!